Guide to iOS estimated passcode cracking times (assumes random decimal passcode + an exploit that breaks SEP throttling):— Matthew Green (@matthew_d_green) April 16, 2018
4 digits: ~13min worst (~6.5avg)
6 digits: ~22.2hrs worst (~11.1avg)
8 digits: ~92.5days worst (~46avg)
10 digits: ~9259days worst (~4629avg)
How to Protect Yourself
How to Enable an Alphanumeric Passcode
- To enable more formidable passcode protection options on your device, you’ll have to visit the Settings app.
- From there, scroll down and select Face ID/Touch ID & Passcode.
- Enter your current passcode.
- Scroll down and select Change Passcode.
- When the prompt comes up asking you to enter your new passcode, tap on the Blue Passcode Options text towards the center of the display.
- Select Custom Alphanumeric Code, and then enter a new passcode comprised of letters, numbers, and symbols as specified above.